Friday, April 1, 2011

It's April!

April! A time of enchantment, wonder, rebirth!

Candy!

For some, it commemorates of a savior's rebirth.

And candy!

For other's it's one of those magical times in childhood when upon waking, you would discover a brightly-colored basket waiting for you from the Easter Bunny.

It was filled with CANDY!

I do make chocolate candies from time to time, but yesterday I managed to throw out my back. So instead I sat at my drafting table, hunched over like an old crone, and made brightly-colored foam easter eggs.


I love foam. It's fun to work with. Super easy to cut through, especially with an x-acto knife, glues without buckling, and I love how it's thick and light at the same time. It can be a little tricky, since it can stretch to some degree and deform while cutting, but this is easy solved by just paying attention a little better.

I printed an outline of an egg on card stock and cut it out to make my own egg stencil.


 Circle made with a stencil, cut out by hand.

 Tiny circles courtesy of a dollar-store hole-puncher.

 Straight bits made using an aluminum ruler made specifically for cutting with an x-acto knife.

 Not-so-straight bits made using no ruler and plenty of impatience.








One dozen colorful eggs! In addition to these, I made four animal eggs.

 Bunny!

 Chick!

 Pig!

Frog!

Heart?

The adorable little "happy eyes" were made by using the hole-punch on black card stock and then hole-punching the dot. It leaves a little crescent, perfect for making happy (or sleepy, if you flip them over) eyes.

I will be celebrating Easter all month (or at least the parts of it that have decorations, eggs, and candy), so if I make anything else interesting, I'll be sure to post it.

Happy Easter!

Photo credits: Easter candy aisle - Rex Roof on Flickr. Bowl of candy - Incase. on Flickr. Peeps - katerha on Flickr.

2 comments: